SEAT Leon: one million times the chosen one
- The compact by SEAT has reached the 1 million sold mark since its launch in 2012
- Germany, Spain and the UK, the main markets of the Leon
- The third generation changed the recent history of the brand
Designed, developed and produced in Martorell, the current generation Leon has been built on the Volkswagen Group's modular MQB platform since the beginning. This platform involved an investment of 800 million euros at the time and meant an unprecedented leap in terms of technology. With the Leon, production quality increased in line with the Group standards, and furthermore, it has consolidated 1,600 direct jobs at the factory and more than 6,000 in the auxiliary industry.
The car that changed SEAT
The success of the Leon transformed SEAT's recent history from a commercial and financial standpoint, and implied a qualitative leap in the perception of the brand image. Likewise, the Leon also enabled increasing the profitability margin per SEAT model, which contributed to turning the negative figures of 2012 (-149 million euros) to the best ever in the history of the company (profit after tax of 294 million euros in 2018).
The Leon was the first car in its segment to feature the iconic headlamps equipped with full LED technology which, together with the blisters on its dynamic chassis, granted it personality and sportiness. The gradual implementation of the latest technologies such as SEAT Full Link and more recently the digital cockpit and wireless charger provided customers with connectivity and convenience inside the vehicle. These advances have all contributed to the creation of SEAT Leon third generation own seal.
SEAT Vice-president for Sales and Marketing and CUPRA CEO Wayne Griffiths emphasised that “the most prominent aspect of this third generation of the SEAT Leon is the wide acceptance that it still has in the market, even after seven years. In 2017, the current generation of the Leon achieved its record with 170,000 cars sold and now in 2019, we are still confident that it will maintain its volume at a high level close to this figure. The Leon has been, is and will continue to be one of the most relevant models for both SEAT and CUPRA. Its different body types and versions make it the most multi-purpose and versatile car of the brand.”
- The first generation SEAT Leon was launched in October 1999; therefore, this year it is celebrating its 20th anniversary.
- In total, SEAT has sold 2,210,712 units of the SEAT Leon: 534,797 of the first generation, 675,915 of the second and 1,000,000 of the third. The current generation accounts for 45% of all Leon sales in the past 20 years.
- The SEAT Leon is sold in countries on all five continents, from Spain (the country where at present the most SEAT Leon units are sold), to Mexico, Morocco, Singapore or New Zealand.
- Germany, Spain and the UK are the three markets where the most third generation Leon have been sold.
- If the 1,000,000 SEAT Leon cars sold since 2012 were placed in a straight line, they would stretch for a distance of 4,370 kilometres, which is three times the distance between Barcelona and Wolfsburg.
PRESS RELEASE DOWNLOAD
Client RelationsTheNewsMarketUnited Kingdomclientrelations@thenewsmarket.com--